In the last few years, motorcycle use has increased dramatically in California. There are at least 800,000 registered motorcycles in the state. There are many reasons why motorcycling is popular; the state boasts incredible weather, beautiful views, riding is relatively inexpensive, and riding a motorcycle can potentially help you maneuver through busy traffic. What’s more, you can ride year-round, thanks to the beautiful stretches of scenic California routes.
With so many motorcycles on the road, it is unsurprising that California experiences more motorcycle crashes than any other state. Motorcycle accidents usually result in head, leg, back, or brain injuries. Serious crashes that do not lead to fatalities often leave the victims paralyzed, suffering from permanent injuries. The aid of a motorcycle accident lawyer is often required to collect insurance claims for these types of injuries. While motorcyclists must look out for their own safety, it is equally important for other drivers to practice safe techniques and minimize accident incidences.
What are the Primary Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
• Road hazards: Studies show that motorcyclist are more susceptible to injuries caused by road hazards compared to passenger vehicles. Slick pavement conditions, lane irregularities, and potholes can all cause serious accidents for motorcyclists.
• Lane splitting: This refers to the act of driving between two lanes of cars. Drivers usually fail to pay attention and may change lanes prematurely, running into a motorcycle rider.
• Head-on collisions: More than half of motorcycle accident fatalities typically involve a car striking a motorcycle head-on.
• Intoxicated driving: Drunk driving plays a huge role in the cause of motorcycle accidents. Nearly 30% of all fatal motorcycle accidents crashes involve drunk driving.
• Left-turn accidents: Arguably, the most dangerous situation is when a car makes a left turn in front of a motorbike. More than 40% of all motorcycle accidents are caused this way.
As a motorcyclist, there are steps that you can take to reduce your chances of being involved in an accident. Before you go out for a ride, you must ensure that your motorcycle is in good working condition. Equally, you should always obey traffic rules and make sure your reaction time is in line with your range of vision. And, above all, you should NEVER drink and ride!
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Help Your Case?
Motorcycle accident claims can often be very contentious. This is usually because of a terribly problematic stigma that motorcyclists misbehave on the roadway. Because of this incorrect line of thinking, insurance firms may not want to pay the full value of the claim. However, with the help of a highly qualified motorcycle accident lawyer, you can turn the case in your favor. An attorney will become your representative, guiding you through the entire process.
Finding the best personal injury lawyer can sometimes prove to be a daunting task. At Farling, Hecht & Davis, LLP, you’ll find highly experienced and knowledgeable San Jose motorcycle accident attorneys who can handle your case and get you the justice you deserve. For more information and to schedule a free consultation, contact us online 24/7 through our website or by calling (408) 295-6100.